To treat sinusitis in pregnancy, you must wash your nostrils with serum several times a day and inhale hot water. It may also be necessary to use medications, such as antibiotics and corticosteroids, which should only be taken as directed by the otorhinolaryngologist to avoid harming the baby’s development.
Sinusitis, which appears during pregnancy, is an inflammation of the mucosa that leads to the accumulation of secretions in the cavities of the skull, nose, eyes and face and causes symptoms such as headache, runny nose and heaviness in the head. Know more sinus symptoms .
Thus, to treat sinusitis during pregnancy one must choose to make a home treatment and follow the following tips.
1. Do a fogging
The woman should do a steam mist, use safe herbs for pregnancy, such as eucalyptus, or even breathe the air from the hot shower. Nebulization should be done 2 to 3 times a day, for approximately 20 minutes, especially in the morning and before bed. Read more in Nebulization for sinusitis .
- Nebulization with a nebulizer: 5 to 10 ml of saline must be placed in the nebulizer cup, position the mask close to the nose and breathe that air until the liquid completely disappears;
- Steam nebulization: just lock yourself in the bathroom and let the hot shower waterfall to generate a lot of steam, inhaling it for about 20 minutes;
- Misting with herbs: it is necessary to boil water and prepare a chamomile tea ( Matricaria Recutita ), northern buchinha, eucalyptus or orange peel with lemon and inhale the steam for approximately 20 minutes, keeping the face at 8 cm from the container. You should put the tea in a bowl, place it on a table and sit on the chair, leaning slightly to be able to inhale the steam.
These natural methods to treat acute or chronic sinusitis, help to clear the airways, making breathing easier.
2. Wash the nostrils with serum
The woman should wash both nostrils with serum, at least 2 to 3 times a day to eliminate secretions that make breathing difficult. Thus, you should:
- Use saline, which can be purchased at the pharmacy or prepare saline at home. Learn how to prepare a saline solution for sinusitis ;
- Introduce 5 to 10 ml of the solution in one nostril and then in another, using a syringe without a tip or nasal irrigator;
- Sniff and pour the secretions out.
Generally, nasal flushing with serum is more effective after nebulization, as the secretions are more fluid and are easier to clear.
3. Blow your nose
To avoid the accumulation of secretions, the pregnant woman should blow her nose with a soft handkerchief, whenever necessary, not just cleaning the tip of her nostrils.
If she has to do this often, the woman can apply a healing cream on her nose to prevent the formation of a wound due to friction.
4. Drink lots of fluids
The pregnant woman with sinusitis should drink at least 2 liters of water or unsweetened tea. A great tea for sinusitis is oregano tea, as its herbs help to relieve cough and phlegm. Read more about the plant .
The woman should choose to drink this tea before bed, as coughing attacks are more intense at night.
Does sinusitis in pregnancy affect the baby?
Sinusitis during pregnancy generally does not harm the baby, however, the woman should not self-medicate or even use medications that she used to take to treat sinusitis before becoming pregnant, as it can harm the baby’s development, and should always choose as possible by natural treatments.
What to take to treat sinusitis in pregnancy
To treat sinusitis it is important to never take any medication without a doctor’s recommendation to assess whether it impairs the baby’s development.
Generally, when natural treatment is not enough, the doctor may prescribe pain relievers for headaches, corticosteroids and / or antibiotics. However, a rigorous evaluation is first necessary to choose the most correct treatment.