To treat baldness and disguise hair loss, some strategies can be adopted, such as taking medication, wearing wigs or using creams, in addition to also being able to resort to aesthetic procedures, such as electrostimulation and hair implantation or transplantation, however this procedure in most of the time it is only carried out when the treatment with medicines and creams is not enough.
In general, baldness is a natural process that arises due to aging, and treatment is not necessary. However, it can also happen as a consequence of health problems such as thyroid disorders, infections, diabetes, hormonal changes, especially testosterone levels, and genetic factors.
The main forms of baldness treatment are:
1. Use of remedies for baldness
The main remedy used for baldness is Finasteride, a pill that must be taken every day and that prevents the formation of a hormone known as DHT, which hinders hair growth. Thus, it is expected that the hair will grow back 3 to 6 months after the start of treatment. However, this remedy is only indicated for the treatment of male pattern baldness, and in the case of female pattern baldness, baldness creams are generally indicated.
In addition to finasteride, another drug has been studied and used to treat baldness, Dutasteride, which, like Finasteride, acts to prevent the formation of DHT, however it is believed that this impediment will happen in a more lasting way. Despite this, this medicine can react with several other remedies, so its indication should be made by the dermatologist after a general assessment of the person’s condition and verification of the use of other remedies.
When baldness is caused by problems affecting the immune system, the dermatologist may also recommend the use of corticosteroid injections in the affected area to decrease the effect of the immune system and allow hair to grow more easily.
Know other remedies for baldness.
2. Use of creams
Some creams can also be used to treat baldness with the aim of promoting hair growth, such as:
- Minoxidil: it is a substance that can be bought in pharmacies without a prescription and that facilitates hair growth. Usually the first results of using Minoxidil appear after 3 months of using the cream;
- Ditranol: is a cream that must be prescribed by the dermatologist and applied before taking a shower to stimulate the growth of new hair;
- Corticosteroid ointments: are used when baldness is caused by immune system problems and should always be prescribed by a doctor.
Generally, these baldness creams should be applied daily to the scalp or according to the dermatologist’s instructions.
3. Laser and electrostimulation
Low frequency laser and electrostimulation are aesthetic procedures that aim to stimulate the multiplication of hair cells, favoring the growth of the wires. In addition, these procedures promote the dilation of blood vessels that transport nutrients and oxygen to the strands, leaving hair stronger, nourished and preventing hair loss.
The value of these procedures varies according to the clinic in which it is performed, but in general it costs an average of R $ 700.00 per month, and it is recommended that the treatment lasts 6 months.
4. Have a hair transplant
Hair transplantation is a type of surgical treatment that can be used to treat baldness and that is usually used when medicines and creams do not show any results. Generally, to perform the hair transplant, the surgeon removes a small portion of the scalp from a part of the head with a lot of hair and then divides the sample until obtaining individual hair strands, which are then placed in the hairless areas to promote hair growth. new wires.
However, hair transplantation is a process that can cost up to 30 thousand reais, as it must be done in private clinics and is not covered by SUS or health plans. Understand how hair transplant is done.
5. Wear wigs
Wigs are an easy way to disguise hair loss caused by baldness while other treatments do not have the desired results. The two main options for wigs include:
- Synthetic acrylic wigs: they are the most suitable and cheap type of wigs, with prices between 50 and 100 reais, however, they only last for about 6 to 9 months;
- Wigs with natural hair: they are more suitable than synthetic ones because they allow the skin to breathe properly, produce a more real effect and last up to 4 years, however, its cost is approximately 1000 reais and need more care.
Thus, to choose the best type of wig, it is advisable to consult the dermatologist to evaluate the options available according to the characteristics of baldness and scalp skin.
What can cause baldness
Baldness can have several causes and, therefore, it is important to consult the dermatologist to identify the cause and type of baldness and, thus, the best type of treatment can be indicated. The main causes and types of baldness are:
- Male or female baldness: it happens due to the natural aging process, and can start from 20 years old, but being more visible after 50;
- Androgen baldness: it is the most frequent cause of baldness, occurring due to hereditary factors and excess of the male hormone testosterone. It is more common in men and hair loss can start in adolescence;
- Area baldness: happens due to problems that affect the immune system, such as hyperthyroidism or diabetes, and causes the appearance of small circular areas without hair;
- Scar baldness: hair loss caused by diseases that weaken the hair root, such as scleroderma or lichen planus, for example;
- Telogen effluvium: it is one of the most common causes of hair loss and happens due to hormonal changes, excessive stress, infections or after surgery, for example;
- Anagen effluvium: it is caused by cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy or radiotherapy, and appears a few weeks after the start of treatment.
Thus, depending on the cause of baldness the doctor will indicate the most appropriate treatment to achieve the best results in each case, which may include the use of medicines, creams or hair transplants, for example.
Also know how to recognize the first signs of baldness in women .