Acetylsalicylic acid is an analgesic and anti-inflammatory remedy, known commercially as Aspirin, which can also be used as an antipyretic and antiplatelet agent.
The drug is produced by several laboratories such as EMS or Bayer, for example, and can be marketed under the names Bufferin, Somalgin, AAS with a children’s version, Alidor, Tromalyt or Melhoral.
The price of acetylsalicylic acid varies between 1 reais and 60 reais, depending on the dosage of the medication and the brand.
Acetylsalicylic acid is indicated as:
- Analgesic and antipyretic in cases of headache, neuralgia, postoperative periods, sprains, strains and bruises, menstrual cramps, toothache, colds and several feverish states;
- Anti-inflammatory in rheumatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, among other inflammations;
- Anti-platelet aggregator, making blood thinner.
How to use
How to use Acetylsalicylic Acid can be:
500 mg tablets:
- Adults: 1 to 2 500 mg tablets every 4 to 8 hours, not exceeding 8 500 mg tablets per day.
- From 12 years: 1 tablet of 500 mg, if necessary up to 3 times a day every 4 to 8 hours.
100 mg tablets:
- Children from 6 months to 1 year: 1/2 to 1 100 mg tablet;
- 1 to 3 years: 1 100 mg tablet;
- 4 to 6 years: 2 100 mg tablets;
- 7 to 9 years: 3 100 mg tablets;
- Over 9 years: 4 tablets of 100 mg.
The doctor’s instructions should be followed, however, the dose can usually be repeated up to 3 times a day every 4 to 8 hours, and should be taken preferably after meals.
Side effects of acetylsalicylic acid include, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, peptic ulcer, heartburn, kidney failure, headache, tinnitus and Reye’s syndrome.
Acetylsalicylic acid is contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity to any component of the formula, during pregnancy and breastfeeding and in cases of fever of viral origin in children and adolescents. It should not be used in hemophiliac patients, a history of allergy to any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, presence of ulcer or hemorrhage.
Asthma patients should be cautious, as acetylsalicylic acid can aggravate the narrowing of the bronchi.