Adoless is a contraceptive in the form of pills that contains 2 hormones, gestodene and ethinyl estradiol that inhibit ovulation, and so the woman has no fertile period and therefore cannot become pregnant. In addition, this contraceptive makes the vaginal secretion thicker, making it difficult for the sperm to reach the uterus, and also changes the endometrium, preventing the implantation of the egg in the endometrium.
Each carton contains 24 white pills and 4 yellow pills that are just ‘flour’ having no effect on the body, serving only so that the woman does not lose the habit of taking this medicine every day. However, the woman is protected every month as long as she takes the pills correctly.
Each box of Adoless costs between 27 and 45 reais.
How to take
In general, take the number 1 tablet marked on the pack and follow the direction of the arrows. Take daily at the same time until the end, the yellow ones being the last to be taken. When you finish this card, you should start another one the next day.
Some special situations:
- To take for the first time: you must take the first pill on the first day of menstruation, but you must use a condom for the next 7 days to avoid unwanted pregnancies.
- If you were already taking any contraceptive: you should take the first Adoless tablet as soon as the other contraceptive pack is finished, without pausing between the two packs.
- To start using after the IUD or implant: you can take the first pill on any day of the month, as soon as you have removed the IUD or the contraceptive implant.
- After abortion in the 1st trimester: you can start taking Adoless immediately, you don’t need to use a condom.
- After abortion in the 2nd or 3rd trimester: you should start taking it on the 28th day after birth, use walking in the first 7 days.
- Postpartum (only for those who do not breastfeed): should start taking it on the 28th day after birth, use walking in the first 7 days.
Bleeding similar to menstruation should come when you take the 2nd or 3rd yellow pill and should disappear when you start the new pack, so ‘menstruation’ lasts less time, which can be useful for those who have iron deficiency anemia, for example.
What to do if you forget
- If you forget for up to 12 hours: Take it as soon as you remember, you don’t need to use a condom;
- In week 1: Take as soon as you remember and the other at the usual time. Use a condom in the next 7 days;
- Week 2: Take as soon as you remember, even if you have to take 2 pills together. There is no need to use a condom;
- In week 3: Take the pill as soon as you remember, do not take the yellow pills from this pack and start a new pack, soon after, without menstruation.
- If you forget 2 pills in a row in any week: Take as soon as you remember and use a condom for the next 7 days. If you are at the end of the pack, take the next tablet as soon as you remember, do not take the yellow pills and start a new pack immediately.
Main side effects
Adoless can cause headache, migraine, bleeding from the leak throughout the month, vaginitis, candidiasis, mood swings, depression, decreased sexual desire, nervousness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal, acne, breast tenderness, increased breasts, colic, lack of menstruation, swelling, change in vaginal discharge.
When not to take
Adoless should not be used by men, pregnant women, in case of suspected pregnancy, or by women who are breastfeeding. It should also not be used in case of allergy to any component of the formula.
Other conditions that also contraindicate the use of this contraceptive include obstruction in a vein, presence of blood clots, stroke, infarction, chest pain, changes in heart valves, changes in heart rhythm that favor clots, neurological symptoms such as migraine with aura, diabetes affecting circulation; uncontrolled high blood pressure, breast cancer or other known or suspected estrogen-dependent neoplasm; liver tumor, or active liver disease, vaginal bleeding without a known cause, inflammation of the pancreas with increased levels of triglycerides in the blood.