Amalaki is a fruit considered by Ayurvedic medicine as the best for longevity and rejuvenation. This is because it has high concentrations of vitamin C in its composition, which makes it an important anti-oxidant. In addition to vitamin C, Amalaki consists of other substances, such as tannins, ellagic acid, campferol and flavonoids. Know what flavonoids are and where to find them.
In addition to being known for its antioxidant properties and benefits, Amalaki is popular in the region in which it is found because it has five different flavors in a single fruit: sweet, bitter, peppery, astringent and sour. This variety of flavors allows Amalaki to be used in different ways.
Benefits of Amalaki
Amalaki is widely used in Indian daily life because of its great antioxidant potential due to the high concentration of vitamin C. Thus, Amalaki has several benefits, such as:
- Aids metabolism, digestion and elimination of substances;
- It has anti-inflammatory properties;
- It has anti-oxidant properties;
- Supports the immune system;
- Improves and nourishes the skin, nails and hair, as it stimulates the production of cholesterol and elastin;
- Decreases blood pressure and cholesterol levels and can be used to treat atherosclerosis and heart disease;
- It decreases the concentration of glucose in the blood, being used in diabetes.
In addition, it can be used to treat constipation and decrease cancer cells and, consequently, metastases. Despite having several benefits, Amalaki should be consumed with caution, as it can greatly reduce blood pressure or the concentration of glucose in the blood.
Amalaki has a slightly laxative property, that is, if consumed in large quantities, diarrhea may occur. So it is important to pay attention to the amount consumed.
Amalaki is rare to find as a fruit in Brazil, however, it can be found in pill form. Consumption varies according to the medical recommendation, but a tablet of 2 to 4 mg per day can be taken. If in the form of fruit, you can consume 1/2 soup 15 minutes before breakfast and dinner.