Amitriptyline hydrochloride is a medication that has anxiolytic and calming properties that can be used to treat cases of depression or bedwetting, which is when the child urinates in bed at night. Therefore, the use of amitriptyline should always be guided by a psychiatrist.
This remedy can be purchased at conventional pharmacies, upon presentation of a prescription, in generic form or with the trade names Tryptanol, Amytril, Neo Amitriptilin or Neurotrypt, for example.
How to use
The use of this medication should always be guided by a doctor, as it may vary according to the problem to be treated and age:
1. Treatment of depression
- Adults : Initially, a dose of 75 mg per day should be taken, divided into several doses, and then the dose should gradually be increased to 150 mg per day. When symptoms are controlled, the dose should be decreased by the doctor, to an effective dose and less than 100 mg per day.
- Children : should only be used in children over 12 years old, in doses of up to 50 mg per day, divided throughout the day.
2. Treatment of nocturnal enuresis
- Children from 6 to 10 years old : 10 to 20 mg before bed;
- Children over 11 : 25 to 50 mg before bed.
The improvement of enuresis usually appears in a few days, however, it is important to maintain the treatment for the time indicated by the doctor, to ensure that the problem does not recur.
Possible side effects
The most common unpleasant reactions, during the treatment of depression, are dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, altered taste, weight gain, increased appetite and headache.
Unpleasant reactions, resulting from the use for enuresis, occur less frequently, since the doses used are lower. The most common side effects are drowsiness, dry mouth, blurred vision, difficulty concentrating and constipation.
Who should not take
Amitriptyline hydrochloride is contraindicated for people who are being treated with other drugs for depression, such as cisapride or with monoaminooxidase inhibitor drugs or who have suffered a heart attack in the last 30 days. In addition, it should also not be used in case of allergy to any of the components present in the formula.
In the case of pregnancy or breastfeeding, this medicine should only be used with the knowledge of the obstetrician.