Orange is a citrus fruit rich in vitamin C, which brings the following benefits to the body:
- Reduce high cholesterol , as it is rich in pectin, a soluble fiber that hinders the absorption of cholesterol in the intestine;
- Prevent breast cancer , as it is rich in flavonoids, strong antioxidants that prevent changes in cells;
- Maintain healthy skin and prevent premature aging, as it is rich in vitamin C, which helps to form collagen;
- Strengthen the immune system , as it is rich in vitamin C;
- Prevent atherosclerosis and protect the heart, as it is rich in antioxidants.
To obtain these benefits, you should consume at least 1 raw orange per day or 150 ml of its natural juice, which has the disadvantage of not having the fibers that exist in fresh fruit. In addition, orange added to baked or oven-baked recipes has less nutrients than raw fruit.
Nutritional information and how to use
The following table shows the nutritional composition of 100 g of orange and natural orange juice.
|Amount per 100 g of food|
|Food||Fresh bay orange||Bay Orange Juice|
|Energy||45 kcal||37 kcal|
|Protein||1,0 g||0,7 g|
|Carbohydrate||11,5 g||8,5 g|
|C vitamin||56,9 mg||94,5 mg|
|Potassium||174 mg||173 mg|
|Evil . Fólico||31 mcg||28 mcg|
The orange can be consumed fresh, in the form of juice or added to recipes for cakes, jellies and desserts. In addition, its peel is also rich in antioxidants and improves digestion, and can be used to make tea or in the form of zest added to recipes.
Whole Orange Cake Recipe
- 2 peeled and chopped oranges
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 clara
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Beat the oranges, sugar, margarine and eggs in a blender. Place the mixture in a container and add the wheat, mixing it with a spatula, or with the mixer. Then add the yeast and stir slowly with a spatula. Place in a preheated oven at 200ºC for about 40 minutes.
In addition to its benefits, see how to use orange to lose weight .