Berries have several health benefits such as preventing cancer, strengthening the immune system, improving circulation and preventing premature aging.
This group includes red and purple fruits, such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, guava, watermelons, grapes, acerola or blackberries, and their regular consumption brings benefits such as:
- Prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s and cancer , as they are rich in antioxidants that strengthen the immune system;
- Prevent premature aging , as antioxidants maintain the health of skin cells;
- Improve intestinal functioning , as they are rich in fibers;
- Prevent cardiovascular diseases , as they help control cholesterol and prevent atherosclerosis;
- Help control blood pressure , as they are rich in water and minerals;
- Help to lose weight , because they have few calories and are rich in fibers, which increase satiety;
- Reduce inflammation in the body caused by diseases such as arthritis and circulation problems;
- Improve intestinal flora , as they are rich in pectin, a type of fiber that is beneficial for flora.
Berries are rich in several antioxidants, such as flavonoids, anthocyanins, lycopene and resveratrol, which are mainly responsible for their benefits. See the 15 richest antioxidant foods you can add to your diet.
How to consume
To obtain maximum benefits, these fruits should be consumed in their fresh form or in the form of juice and vitamins, which should not be strained or added with sugar. Organic fruits will bring greater health benefits, as they are free of pesticides and artificial preservatives.
Red fruits sold frozen in supermarkets are also good options for consumption, as freezing keeps all its nutrients and increases the validity of the product, facilitating its use.
The following table provides nutritional information with the main nutrients for 100 g of 4 berries:
|Energy||30 kcal||52,8 kcal||32 kcal||33 kcal|
|Carbohydrate||6,8 g||13,5 g||8 g||8 g|
|Protein||0,9 g||0,7 g||0,9 g||0,9 g|
|Fat||0,3 g||0,2 g||0 g||0,2 g|
|Fibers||1,7 g||0,9 g||0,1 g||1,5 g|
|C vitamin||63,6 mg||3,2 mg||6,1 mg||941 mg|
|Potassium||185 mg||162 mg||104 mg||165 mg|
|Magnesium||9,6 mg||5 mg||9,6 mg||13 mg|
Because they are low in calories, red fruits are widely used in weight loss diets, so see recipes for detox juices that help deflate and lose weight.