Running in the water is an excellent activity to lose weight, tone your muscles, improve posture and reduce your belly, being especially indicated for people who are very overweight and elderly people who need to do an activity without harming their joints, as it happens in running in Street.
The water run, also known as deep running , can be performed on the beach or in the pool, but to exercise your legs even more, increasing the benefits, you can use weights on your shin. As water offers a lot of resistance to movement, it makes this workout a good aerobic exercise and, therefore, helps to improve cardiac and respiratory capacity, leading to an average expenditure of 400 calories for every 45 minutes of running.
The benefits of running on the water include:
- Weight loss since it requires a high expenditure of energy;
- Protect the joints , avoiding diseases such as arthritis or osteoarthritis;
- Improve posture, balance and flexibility , as it requires you to keep your spine straight;
- Increase the strength and resistance of the muscles , especially the arms, legs and abdomen;
- Decrease the swelling of the legs , as it helps to drain the fluids that accumulate around the ankle;
In addition, running in the water causes relaxation and a sense of well-being, which can help individuals with anxiety and depression problems.
Water running can bring benefits for all ages, but it is especially suitable for:
- Sedentary individuals , who want to start physical activity;
- Who is overweight, because it avoids injuries;
- Elderly, since it is possible to manage physical effort more easily and reduces the risk of arthritis or arthrosis;
- Menopause because it reduces the heat;
- Patients with chronic pain, with fibromyalgia;
- Pregnant , as the body weight in water is lower.
However, in any case, before starting the water race, you should go to the doctor to do tests and see if you are prepared to exercise.
How to start the water race
To start the race in the water, look for a pool where the water level is up to the knees or at the shallow end of the beach. The higher the height of the water, the more difficult the exercise will be, so start with the easiest.
Start running slowly, but keep the pace. Start with training twice a week, lasting 20 minutes. From the second week, increase the intensity of the water run to 40 minutes, 3 times a week and gradually increase.
In addition, it is also important to drink water or a gatorade type isotonic to ensure hydration and that you are still willing to run.
If you liked this article, read also:
- Running training to burn fat