Working in shifts increases the chances of developing problems such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, digestive problems, and depression because irregular hours can compromise the proper production of hormones.
Shift workers also need to eat 5 or 6 meals a day, without skipping a meal. It is necessary to avoid excess caffeine 3 hours before bed so as not to impair sleep, in addition to having light meals so that the body can fall asleep and rest well. See How to improve sleep for shift workers .
So, here’s how to eat in these cases:
Or what to eat before sleeping
When the person has worked all night, before going to sleep he needs to have a light but nutritious breakfast so that the intestine is not too active and the body can rest better. Some examples of what you can eat for breakfast are:
- Skimmed yogurt with brown bread and cheese;
- Skimmed milk with 6 Maria cookies and a fruit;
- Fruit smoothie with 5 wholemeal toasts with butter.
Workers who sleep during the day should choose a quiet and unclear place so that the body can fall into a deep sleep. It is also important to avoid drinking coffee 3 hours before bed, so that caffeine does not cause insomnia.
What to eat before you start working
Before starting work, a complete meal should be provided, which provides energy and nutrients for the workday. At that time, you can also drink caffeinated drinks, such as coffee, to keep your body active. Examples of pre-work meals according to schedule are:
- Breakfast: 1 glass of milk with unsweetened coffee + 1 whole grain bread sandwich with boiled egg and a slice of cheese + 1 banana
- Lunch: 120 g of grilled steak + 5 tablespoons of brown rice + 3 tablespoons of beans + raw salad + 1 dessert fruit
- Dinner: 130 g of fish in the oven + boiled potatoes + braised salad with vegetables and chickpeas + 1 dessert fruit
Before starting work, you can also have coffee at the end of the meal or during the first hours of work. Those who arrive home in the early afternoon can choose to have lunch at work or to have 2 snacks in the morning and have lunch as soon as they get home, it is important not to spend more than 4 hours without eating anything.
What to eat while working
In addition to the main meal, the person needs to have at least 1 snack during work, such as:
- Yogurt + wholemeal bread with butter;
- Fruit salad with flaxseed;
- Coffee with milk + 4 whole toast.
Shift workers should strive to have regular times for eating, sleeping and waking up. Maintaining a routine will make the body function well, properly absorbing the nutrients ingested, and maintaining the weight. See tips on How to control the urge to eat at dawn.