Some foods rich in vitamin C, water and antioxidants, such as orange, pepper or garlic have properties that improve blood circulation, helping to reduce swelling of the feet and the sensation of cold hands, pain in the legs and fluid retention, which they are frequent symptoms in those who have poor circulation, so the consumption of these foods should be daily.
Adequate nutrition can help relieve symptoms of poor circulation 3 months after eating changes, but it should not be the only form of treatment, especially if after that time symptoms such as swelling and respiratory tiredness persist, as they may have origin of a heart and / or kidney disease and, therefore, one should consult the doctor, cardiologist or vascular surgeon.
To learn more about treatment for poor circulation see: Treatment for poor circulation.
What to eat to improve circulation
Some examples of foods that increase blood circulation can be:
- Orange, lemon, kiwi, strawberry – because they are rich in vitamin C, which strengthens the blood vessel wall.
- Salmon, tuna, sardines, chia seeds – as they are foods rich in omega 3, which makes blood more fluid, facilitating circulation.
- Garlic, onion – because they are foods with allicin, which is a substance that helps to prevent the clogging of blood vessels.
- Tomatoes, mangoes, Brazil nuts, almonds – these are foods rich in antioxidants that protect blood vessels and keep them healthy. To learn more about antioxidant foods see: Foods rich in antioxidants .
- Beet leaves, avocado, yogurt – because they are foods rich in potassium that help eliminate and regulate water in the body’s cells, reducing swelling.
To use these foods on a daily basis you can substitute soft drinks for juices, spices with sauces for garlic and olive oil or meat for fish. In addition, it is very important to avoid foods rich in salt and fat, such as sausages, fried foods, fatty cheeses or pre-prepared foods, for example, because they hinder blood circulation.
5 dietary tips to improve blood circulation
These 5 tips are simple ways to improve blood circulation with food:
- Drink orange and strawberry juice for breakfast.
- Eat fish, like salmon, tuna or sardines for dinner.
- Always use garlic and onions when cooking.
- Eat vegetables for lunch and dinner. They can be salads or cooked vegetables.
- Drink a glass of beet juice every day.
Another very important tip is to drink gorse tea throughout the day. To learn more about this tea see: Tea to improve circulation .
It is poor circulation to cause symptoms such as tingling and numbness in the limbs, so look at the 12 causes of tingling in the body and how to treat it.