Fulminant acne, also known as acne conglobata, is a very rare type of very aggressive and severe acne, which appears frequently in adolescent men and causes other symptoms such as fever and joint pain.
In this type of acne, many deep eruptions appear especially on the chest, back and face, and their treatment involves ointments, creams, pills and even several surgical interventions.
Fulminant acne can be cured with the proper treatment, however, as it is a problem that can change the appearance of the face, depression or social phobia often develops and, therefore, it is also necessary to undergo treatment for the psychological and social aspect. .
What causes this type of acne
The exact cause of fulminant acne has not yet been identified, however, its appearance appears to be related to the increase in the production of male hormones, changes in the immune system response and genetic predisposition, which increase the skin’s sensitivity to the bacterium Propionibacterium acnes.
How the treatment is done
There is no totally effective remedy for all types of fulminant acne, so it is important to consult a dermatologist to try various medications and identify the one that produces the most effects. The most used are:
- Corticosteroid tablets , such as prednisone: quickly relieve inflammation of the skin and can also be used in the form of an injection or cream;
- Anti-inflammatory remedies , such as Aspirin or retinoic acid: reduce inflammation over time and can also be used as an ointment;
- Antibiotics , such as tetracycline or azithromycin: fight possible infections that may arise in acne lesions;
- Isotretinoin : is a substance used when antibiotics have no effect and helps to reduce sebum production, preventing the development of bacteria.
The treatment usually lasts several months and even years, and it is common to maintain a high dose of these remedies for a variable period, from two to four months and then decrease slowly to avoid further aggravation.
In addition, it may be necessary to take medicines for fever, such as Paracetamol, for pain such as Ibuprofen and in some specific cases to go on a diet to increase weight and strengthen the immune system. When self-esteem is affected psychological counseling is essential and in some cases taking medication for anxiety or depression.
Other symptoms of fulminant acne
In addition to the pimples and blackheads with pus that appear on the face, large fistulas and papules can also develop that cause a lot of pain. However, in addition, it is also common:
- Weight loss;
- Pain in muscles and joints;
- Liver enlargement.
Alterations in the blood test may also appear, mainly an increase in the values of white blood cells in order to try to fight the infection in the skin.