After delivery, it is normal for intestinal transit to be a little slower than normal, causing constipation and some anxiety in the woman who does not want to force herself to evacuate in fear of the stitches opening. For the recent mother to be more calm it is good to know that:
- The stitches due to normal childbirth will not be affected by the passage of feces and in a few days everything will be back to normal;
- The first bowel movements can cause some discomfort, causing intestinal colic, but this is normal;
- The more soft the stools are, the less force is needed.
The first evacuation may take longer than expected and in this case when the doctor diagnoses, in fact, constipation may indicate the use of a laxative or even the use of an enema, still in the hospital, because normally the woman only has discharge after being able to evacuate normally.
Natural solutions to loosen the gut
To release the intestine, fighting constipation, the woman must drink a lot of water and consume a greater amount of fiber in each meal that she makes because this way there is an increase in the fecal cake, without it becoming dry, passing easily through the intestine. So, some tips are:
- Prepare 2 liters of Sene tea , which is a natural laxative, to take as a substitute for water, ingesting slowly throughout the day;
- Take plum water on an empty stomach . To do this, just put 1 plum in 1 glass of water and soak overnight;
- Eat plain yogurt with papaya, oats and honey for breakfast or one of the snacks;
- Eat at least 3 fruits a day, preferring those that release the intestine such as mango, tangerine, kiwi, papaya, plum or grapes with peel;
- Add 1 tablespoon of seeds , such as flaxseed, sesame or pumpkin to each meal;
- Always eat 1 plate of raw salad or with cooked vegetables a day;
- Walk for at least 30 consecutive minutes a day;
- Insert 1 glycerin suppository into the anus to evacuate, only if even after following all these strategies, you are unable to evacuate, as the stools are very dry.
It is also important to avoid consuming foods that trap the intestine such as corn porridge, bananas, white bread with butter and less nutritious foods such as those rich in starch and fat. Soft drinks should also not be consumed, but sparkling water with half a lemon expressed on the spot can be an option to accompany the main meals of the day.
The daily use of laxatives is discouraged because they can cause addiction to the intestine, so its use is only recommended when it is necessary to empty the intestine to perform some exam indicated by the doctor or when the person cannot poop for more than 7 days, because in that case there may be intestinal obstruction.
Doing belly massage
Massaging the abdominal area also helps to empty the intestine more quickly, just press the region near the navel, on the left side of the body, in the same direction as the image:
This massage should be done, especially after waking up, when the person is lying on the bed face up because it has a better effect. Pressing the abdominal area for about 7 to 10 minutes may be enough to feel like having a bowel movement.