To avoid ingesting bisphenol A, care must be taken not to heat food stored in plastic containers in the microwave and to buy plastic products that do not contain this substance.
Bisphenol A is a compound present in polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins, being part of objects such as kitchen utensils such as plastic containers and glasses, cans with preserved food, plastic toys and cosmetic products.
Tips to decrease contact with bisphenol
Some tips to reduce the consumption of bisphenol A are:
- Do not place plastic packages in the microwave that are not BPA free;
- Avoid plastic containers that contain the numbers 3 or 7 in the recycling symbol;
- Avoid or use canned food;
- Use glass, porcelain or stainless acid containers to place hot food or drinks;
- Choose bottles and children’s objects that are free of bisphenol A.
Bisphenol A has been known to increase the risk of problems such as breast and prostate cancer, but to develop these problems it is necessary to consume high amounts of this substance. See what bisphenol values are allowed for safe consumption at: Find out what Bisphenol A is and how to identify it in plastic packaging .