The discoloration of the hair corresponds to the removal of pigment from the strands and done with the purpose of lightening the hair and, for this, two products are used: hydrogen peroxide, which opens the cuticle of the strands, and the bleach, which penetrates the strands to remove the natural color.
The discoloration process is very stressful for the strands, resulting in very dry, opaque and brittle hair. Therefore, before doing a coloring process, for example, it is important to identify the characteristics of the hair. So it is important to make a recovery of the threads before and after discoloration, such as hydration or cauterization, to prevent the hair from getting too spoiled with the process. Check out some homemade options to hydrate dry hair.
The best way to bleach your hair is with a professional in the beauty salon, but it can also be done at home. For this, it is recommended to have hair dry at the time of application and, preferably, dirty, as the natural oil of the hair helps to protect the strands. In addition, it is recommended to wear an old blouse or bathrobe to avoid staining clothes.
How to bleach hair
The step by step to bleach hair is:
- Choose the bleach , preferably good brands and those that are blue in color, that have a better bleaching effect and prevent the hair from turning too yellow. Some examples of brands are: Blond Up by Revlon, Blond Me by Schwarzkopf, Wella Blondor, Platinum Plus by Lóreal or Alfaparf supermechas, for example;
- Choose the hydrogen peroxide that will react with the bleach, preferably creamy stabilized, in the volume of 10 to 40. It must be remembered that the greater the volume of the hydrogen peroxide, the faster the lightening effect, however, it can spoil more quickly the wires;
- Mix the bleaching powder and hydrogen peroxide, until they form a creamy and homogeneous mixture, usually with 1 measure of the powder for 2 measures of hydrogen peroxide;
- Make a test on a strand of hair, to evaluate if there will be any damage to the hair during the process, avoiding discolouring all the hair if the strands become too brittle or elastic. In these cases, look for a professional hairdresser;
- Divide the hair into locks using clips. Check if you can see the back of the hair, which can be seen by placing a mirror on the back as well, but if there is difficulty, call someone else to help apply the product;
- Apply a moisturizing cream on the skin around the hair, such as forehead, neck and ears, to prevent them from being stained or irritated with the product;
- Apply the product with a hair brush, starting at the end of the strands , and then apply to the upper parts, as the root is more sensitive and ends up discoloring first than the ends. If the intention is to discolor all hair, including the root, prefer to pass the product along the entire length, and then pass on the region close to the scalp, so that the result is more homogeneous;
- Observe the product’s action time , avoiding that it remains for more than 30 to 40 minutes with the product in the hair. A tip is to check every 5-10 minutes if the desired shade has been reached, as the discoloration time varies according to the current hair color and if other products have already been used that can make discoloration difficult;
- Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse well , to remove all product residues;
- Finish with a tint with products that correct the tone of the hair, preventing it from acquiring unwanted shades, such as yellow, orange or gray, for example. They are usually specific products, of purple or blue color, however, they can be replaced by toners, paints or other types of color correctors;
At the end of the process, hydrate the hair with a moisturizing mask. For a better reconstruction result, add a keratin ampoule to the hydration. Check, also, options of homemade masks to moisturize different types of hair .
Care after discoloration
After discoloration, the hair is left with the cuticles open, which causes them to lose nutrients and hydration. Thus, it is necessary to take some care so that the hair remains healthy, silky and shiny, such as:
- Weekly or fortnightly hydrations at home, and once a month, hair reconstruction treatment in the beauty salon;
- Diet with foods rich in protein, like egg and gelatin, for example, because protein helps in the formation of hair, making hair grow faster and look more beautiful. Learn to choose foods that strengthen the hair ;
- Avoid washing your hair with very hot water, as the heat facilitates the opening of the scales of the wires;
- After washing, let the hair dry naturally and use a good leave-in, such as those based on Argan oil or coconut oil, to protect the hair from aggressions such as heat, wind and sun;
- If you need to blow dry your hair, try to keep a distance of 30 cm from the strands;
- Comb your hair carefully, untangling calmly and preferably use wide-toothed combs.
In addition, it is also recommended to program a Capillary Schedule, which is an intensive hydration treatment, divided into phases, being a powerful recuperator of damaged hair. Learn how to save your hair in 1 month with the capillary schedule .