The ideal mattress to avoid back pain should be neither too hard nor too soft, because the most important thing is to keep your spine always aligned, but without being uncomfortable. For this, the mattress must yield in order to follow the curvature of the body and the pillow must allow the neck to be straight.
On average, each person spends a third of their life sleeping, so choosing a quality mattress and an adequate pillow is very important to ensure a good night’s sleep and restful rest. Because when we sleep well, we are much more productive the next day.
How to choose the best mattress
So that you do not make mistakes when buying a mattress, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Check that the mattress returns to normal after being pressed;
- Choose the most comfortable for you: a spring, foam or viscoelastic mattress. Test the 3 options before buying;
- Lie on the mattress and see if the spine is aligned and straight, and if the body is well accommodated, especially in the shoulders and hips;
- If you buy a double mattress, it should be a little more firm because the other person’s weight may reflect on your side of the bed;
- If you are within the ideal weight, prefer a less dense mattress and if you are overweight, prefer one with more support and density;
- Make sure the mattress length is sufficient, especially if you are over 1.90m;
- Try the mattress in the store, lying on it for 5 minutes preferably in the position where you usually sleep, as just sitting or placing your hand is not enough;
- Prefer a mattress with biodegradable filling or with antimicrobial fabric that prevents the development and accumulation of fungi and bacteria, especially if you have any allergies;
- Buy the mattress first and then the bed, because their sizes may vary.
If the mattress is too soft, it will sag and sink, leaving the spine askew and if it is too hard it will cause pain in the shoulders, thighs or hips. After choosing and buying a mattress the adaptation of the body can take some time, and it may take up to 30 days for the body to get used to it.
In addition, people with health problems like herniated discs, parrots or arthrosis need a firmer mattress to support the spine well. but in addition they must sleep in the correct position. Find out the best sleeping position here .
To buy a mattress for children, it is not necessary to have very expensive mattresses since children are light, not exerting too much force on the mattress. In addition, it is necessary to remember that these mattresses need to be changed in a short time, due to the natural growth of the child.
When to change the mattress
It is advisable to change the mattress every 10 years because it is normal to have an accumulation of viruses, bacteria and trillions of mites, which favor respiratory problems and allergies, including the skin.
It is also recommended to change whenever you think the mattress is dirty or when you already have the shape of your body. However, you can turn the mattress over once a year to reduce the risk that the mattress will be marked.
How to choose the best pillow
An incorrect pillow can cause headache, neck or spine pain and therefore your choice is just as important as the mattress. So, to choose a suitable pillow you must:
- Lie down and check that the spine and neck are aligned and straight;
- Find out about the pillow materials, if they are biodegradable or if they contain antimicrobial tissue that prevents the development and accumulation of fungi and bacteria;
- If you sleep on your side you need a medium or high pillow, if you sleep on your back, a low or medium pillow and those who sleep face down do not need a pillow.
As with the mattress, the appropriate pillow should be neither too high nor too low, and should have the ideal height to ensure that the neck is straight. It is important that the pillow favors the alignment of the spine, in order to prevent it from becoming curved, so there are some orthopedic pillows that have a small curvature, which serves to support the neck well.