To lighten the groin quickly and effectively, there are several treatments available, such as whitening creams, chemical peels , radiofrequency, microdermabrasion or pulsed light, for example, which work by reducing the excess accumulated melanin and returning the skin’s natural tone.
Each treatment can be indicated for a lighter or more intense lightening, with results achieved more gradually or quickly, in days, weeks to months, according to the needs of each person, therefore, the ideal is that they are guided by a dermatologist or professional qualified to perform these types of treatments, after skin evaluation and definition of the best method for each person.
Dark spots on the skin arise due to the accumulation of melanin in its layers, mainly due to situations such as hormonal changes, folliculitis, inflammation and the use of cosmetics, especially in people with a genetic predisposition, and are very common in places of greater friction on the skin, like in the groin and armpit.
Treatment options include:
1. Whitening creams
There are some options for whitening creams to reduce armpit stains, as it contains active ingredients that depigment the skin:
- Hydroquinone : it is a powerful skin depigmenting active, very useful to treat spots of melasma, freckles and hyperpigmentation by the sun, inflammations or dermatitis, for example. The most well-known brand is Clariderm, and its use requires some care, being important the medical monitoring, as it can make the skin more sensitive and cause dryness, itching and flaking;
- Retinoic acid : also known as tretinoin, is an acid derived from vitamin A that acts deeply on the skin, helping to reduce blemishes, increase collagen production and rejuvenate the skin;
- Kojic acid : it is a depigmentant that works by reducing the production of melanin, in addition to having an antioxidant effect, reducing inflammation, infections and skin aging;
- Azelaic acid : it is also an acid with effect in controlling the amount of melanin, decreasing the darkening of the skin, being also useful to reduce the oiliness of the skin and fight acne.
The creams are used 1 to 2 times a day, and promote results in about 2 to 4 weeks, which varies according to the intensity of the stain and the dose of the product, and therefore must be purchased in pharmacies with the guidance dermatologist. There are also other types of creams, such as adapalene, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, for example, which can be combined by the dermatologist.
2. Chemical peel
Chemical peeling is a type of aesthetic treatment made with acids in higher concentrations, with the objective of removing the most superficial layer of the skin, which contains imperfections and blemishes.
It is done in sessions, and the results can be seen from the second treatment session, which may require a total of 10 sessions for the ideal result to be obtained. During this period it is advisable to use a good moisturizing cream, with sunscreen, since the skin is very sensitive.
Some examples of widely used chemical peels carried out include mandelic acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid or combination of acids, for example, and act not only to remove blemishes, but to smooth scars, acne marks and rejuvenate the skin. Learn more about the benefits of chemical peels and how to do them .
3. Aesthetic treatments
There are options for aesthetic treatments that help treat skin blemishes, which should be done in the dermatologist’s office or in places qualified for these treatments. Some options include:
- Intense pulsed light is indicated to remove dark spots on the skin, especially caused by sun exposure and ultraviolet rays;
- Microdermabrasion , which is an exfoliation technique to cause skin rejuvenation;
- Radiofrequency , is a treatment that, in addition to lightening the skin, combats sagging and smooths wrinkles. Know the benefits and risks of radio frequency .
While performing these treatments, it is important to maintain skin care so that the effect is more significant, such as wearing underwear that causes less friction, protecting the sun with sunscreen and treating infections, if any, such as fungal infections, for example .
4. Natural treatments
There are some homemade ways to lighten the groin, as they are able to exfoliate the skin and have moisturizing and calming properties. Some options include preparations made with bicarbonate, white clay and oats. Check out the recipes in natural ways to lighten the groin and armpit .