To take care of the baby’s diaper rash, called diaper erythema, the mother must first identify whether the baby is actually having diaper rash. For this, the mother should check if the baby’s skin that is in contact with the diaper such as the buttocks, genitals, groins, upper thighs or lower abdomen is red, hot or with bubbles.
In addition, when the baby’s skin is roasted, he is uncomfortable and may cry, especially during diaper changes, as the skin in that area is more sensitive and painful.
What to do to treat baby’s diaper rash
To treat baby’s diaper rash, care must be taken, such as:
- Leave the baby without a diaper for some time every day: it promotes skin breathing, which is essential in the treatment of diaper rash, as heat and humidity are the main causes of diaper erythema;
- Apply an ointment for diaper rash such as Bepantol or Hipoglós, whenever the diaper is changed: these ointments help the skin to heal, helping to treat the diaper. Learn more at: ointment for roasting ;
- Changing the baby’s diaper frequently: prevents urine and feces from being trapped for a long time inside the diaper, which can make the diaper rash worse. The diaper should be changed before or after each meal and whenever the baby has a bowel movement;
- Perform the baby’s intimate hygiene with water and gauze or cotton diaper, whenever the diaper is changed: the wipes that are sold in the market can cause more skin irritation, making the diaper rash worse.
The diaper rash is usually transient, but when left untreated it can develop into candidiasis or a bacterial infection.
Homemade talcum powder for roasting
This homemade talcum recipe can be used on children of all ages, as it helps to calm the skin due to the calming and anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile and the antiseptic effect of propolis, which helps to fight infections.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 drops of propolis tincture
- 2 drops of chamomile essential oil
Sift the cornstarch onto a plate and set aside. Mix the tincture and the essential oil in a very small vaporizer, with the function of spraying like a perfume. Then, spray the mixture on top of the cornstarch, taking care not to form lumps and let it dry. Store in a talcum pot and always use on the baby, remembering to avoid putting it on the child’s face. This talc can be kept for up to 6 months.
What can cause baby diaper rash
The baby’s diaper rash can be caused by heat, humidity and the contact of the urine or feces with the baby’s skin when he stays in the same diaper for a long time. In addition, allergies to some baby wipes bought on the market or baby hygiene products can also cause diaper rash, as well as when intimate hygiene is not performed correctly when changing diapers.
When severe, diaper rash can cause blood in the baby’s diaper. See other causes here .