It is normal for the baby to feel uncomfortable, irritated and sulky when the teeth start to be born, which usually happens from the sixth month of life.
To relieve the pain of the birth of the baby’s teeth, parents can massage or give cold toys to the baby. Some homemade options to relieve the pain of the birth of teeth are:
1. Breast milk popsicle
The breast milk popsicle is a good way to relieve the pain of the birth of the baby’s teeth because besides being nutritious, it is cold, which promotes pain relief. To make the popsicle you must:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water and clean the areolas;
- Disregard the first jets of milk;
- Remove the milk and place it in a sterile container;
- Cover the container and place it in a basin with cold water and ice cubes for about 2 minutes;
- Place the container in the freezer for up to a maximum of 15 days.
This technique should not replace breastfeeding and should only be used up to 2 times a day.
2. Carrot sticks
Peeled and cold carrot sticks, if food has already been included in the baby’s routine, is also a good option, as the cold carrot is a good option for relieving the itchiness and discomfort of the teeth birth process.
To make the carrot sticks you must:
- Peel and cut the carrots in the shape of medium sticks;
- Leave in the refrigerator for about 2 hours;
- Provide the baby two to three times a day.
It is recommended that the chopsticks are not frozen, as the rigidity of the frozen carrot can hurt the baby’s gums.
3. Objects to bite
Giving your baby objects to bite on can be a good way to relieve pain and keep you entertained while playing. These objects must be smooth and very clean and preferably be adapted for this purpose, as is the case with teethers, which can be purchased at pharmacies or baby stores.
A good trick to improve the effect of the teethers is to place these objects in the refrigerator before giving it to the baby.
4. Gum massage
Another technique that helps to relieve the pain of the birth of teeth is to gently massage the baby’s gums with the fingertip, which should be very clean. This massage besides relieving the pain, can entertain the baby, making the process even more fun.
5. Shantala massage
This massage consists of a series of techniques that are used for baby’s relaxation. This skin-to-skin contact by the mother / father and baby during the massage strengthens the affective bond and reduces stress, in addition to reducing tension and consequently pain due to the birth of teeth. This massage can also help the baby to sleep better. Check out how to do the shantala massage .
6. Reflexology massage
Reflexology massage is a technique to relieve the pain of the baby’s first teeth, which usually begin to appear at around 6 to 8 months of age. The massage can be done after the bath, which is when the baby is warm, comfortable, clean and more relaxed. The massage, besides having calming and relaxing effects, helps to reduce the baby’s irritation due to the teeth.
The reflexology massage to relieve the pain of the birth of the baby’s first teeth involves 3 steps, which must be performed on both feet, one at a time:
- Press the thumb lightly around the back of the 4 little toes, one by one, sliding down to the base of the finger;
- Press with a bent thumb, from the nail to the base of the finger, as if it were a worm sliding. Repeat about 2 to 3 times;
- Gently press the area between each baby’s toe. This last step of the massage will help to strengthen the immune system and release toxins helping to prevent fevers and opportunistic infections.
Also learn how to get a reflexology massage to improve your baby’s sleep .
7. Calendula compress
Calendula is a flower with soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, these properties help in relieving pain and discomfort. In addition, calendula tea can help the baby fall asleep, as during this period sleep tends to become unregulated because of excessive irritation.
How to make the marigold compress:
- 2 g of calendula flowers;
- 150 ml of boiling water;
- Cover and let stand for about 15 minutes;
- Dip compresses in the mixture and apply to the gums 3 to 4 times a day for 10 minutes.
He knew other medicinal properties of marigold .