What to do in case of allergy to insect bites

Any insect bite causes a small allergic reaction with redness, swelling, and itching at the site of the bite, however, some people may experience a more severe allergic reaction that can cause swelling of the entire affected limb or other parts of the body.

The insects that can cause skin allergy are the mosquito, rubber, ant, stink, muriçoca, and wasp. In the vast majority of cases, symptoms can be relieved by rubbing an ice pebble on the spot and using an anti-allergic ointment, but in some people, the allergic reaction may be so severe that treatment with corticosteroid ointments may be necessary. or even get an epinephrine injection if the symptoms are life-threatening.

Signs of allergy to insect bites

People more sensitive to insect bites may have some allergy symptoms, such as:

  • Redness and swelling of the affected limb;
  • Severe pain or itching in the affected area;
  • The exit of fluid and transparent liquid through the site of the bite.

It is considered allergy to the bite when these symptoms appear after the bite of a non-venomous insect, such as mosquito, ant, bee, or flea, for example.

Warning signs to go immediately to the hospital

Some people may have an exaggerated allergic reaction, called anaphylactic shock , and in such cases it is very important to go to the hospital immediately if signs such as:

  • The rapid drop in blood pressure;
  • Feeling faint;
  • Dizziness or confusion;
  • Swelling of the face and mouth;
  • Extreme difficulty in breathing.

The difficulty in breathing occurs due to the swelling of the throat that prevents the passage of air. In these cases, the reaction is very fast and the individual must be taken to the hospital as soon as possible, as there is a risk of death from suffocation.

In the case of a bite by a venomous animal, such as a snake or spider, for example, it is necessary to call medical help, calling 192, or go quickly to the hospital.

Ointment for insect bite allergy

For the treatment of a small allergy to insect bites, it is recommended to put ice on the site for up to ten minutes and, at most, an ointment such as Polaramine, Andantol, Polaryn or Minâncora, 2 to 3 times a day, for 5 days . In addition, it is recommended to avoid scratching the area, as this action can lead to increased skin irritation.

These ointments can be purchased at the pharmacy, even without a prescription, but the swollen, red and painful area must be shown for the pharmacist to indicate the best possibilities.

If you prefer a more natural treatment, check out some home remedies that can be used to complete medical treatment .

However, if the area becomes more and more swollen, it is recommended to go to the doctor and, if possible, with the insect that stung it, so that it can be identified. This is important, because, in the case of a bee sting, for example, it is necessary to remove the stinger left by it so that the wound is healed.

Learn more:

Leave a Comment