Pumpkin, also known as jerimum, is a vegetable widely used in culinary preparations that has as main advantage having little carbohydrate and few calories, helping to lose weight and control weight. Thus, both cabotian squash and pumpkin squash are great allies of the diet and do not put on weight.
In addition, this vegetable can be used in diets with low carbohydrates and its regular consumption brings the following health benefits:
- Improve eye health, as it is rich in vitamin A and carotenoids;
- Increase the feeling of satiety, due to the presence of fibers;
- Prevent cataracts, as they contain lutein and zeaxanthin, powerful antioxidants that act on the eyes;
- Strengthen the immune system, as it is rich in vitamin A and C;
- Help to lose weight, by having few calories and being rich in fiber;
- Prevent cancer, due to its high content of beta-carotene, vitamin A and C;
- Prevents wrinkles and improves the skin, due to the presence of vitamin A and carotenoids.
To obtain these benefits, the pumpkin must be consumed together with a healthy and balanced diet, which can be included in recipes such as salads, purees, cakes, pies and cookies. Here’s how to make pumpkin juice for kidney problems
The following table provides the nutritional information for 100 g of cabotian and pumpkin squash:
|Components||Cabotian Pumpkin||Moganga Pumpkin|
|Energy||48 kcal||29 kcal|
|Protein||1,4 g||0,4 g|
|Fat||0,7 g||0,8 g|
|Carbohydrates||10,8 g||6 g|
|Fibers||2,5 g||1,5 g|
|C vitamin||5,1 mg||6,7 mg|
|Potassium||351 mg||183 mg|
|Calcium||8 mg||7 mg|
Pumpkin can also be eaten with peel, and its seeds can be used to spice up salads and to be ingredients of a delicious homemade granola. For this, the seeds must be allowed to dry in the open air and then left in a low oven until they are golden and crispy.
Fit Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of fine flakes oat tea;
- 1 cup of mashed boiled pumpkin tea;
- 2 tablespoons of culinary sweetener;
- 1/2 tablespoon of baking powder;
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
Beat all ingredients in an electric mixer or blender. Place in greased molds and bake in a medium oven for about 25 minutes.
Sugar Free Pumpkin Jam
- 500 g of neck pumpkin;
- 1 cup of culinary sweetener;
- 4 cloves;
- 1 cinnamon stick;
- 1/2 cup of water.
Remove the pumpkin peel and cut into small pieces. Into a pan, place the water, cloves, cinnamon and pieces of pumpkin. Let it cook until it becomes a cream, mixing well to be homogeneous.
Then add the sweetener and continue stirring well, so as not to stick to the pan. Turn off the heat and place the candy in a sterilized glass container with hot water. Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
This puree also has fibers that help to regulate the intestine, relieving constipation and besides being rich in beta-carotene it also has few calories because a portion has 106 calories, being indicated for weight loss diets, and as it has a mild sweet taste it is a good option for children.
- 500 g of pumpkin pumpkin;
- 6 tablespoons of skimmed milk;
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter;
- Salt, nutmeg and black pepper to taste.
Cook the pumpkin and knead with a fork. Add skim milk and salt, nutmeg and pepper and mix well. Bring to the fire together with 2 tablespoons of chopped onion and sauté in olive oil. If using cabotian pumpkin, add only 2 tablespoons of skimmed milk.
For less work and more benefits, learn How to freeze vegetables to avoid losing nutrients.