Saffron is a medicinal plant, also known as Saffron, Safflower or Turmeric, with anti-inflammatory action that can be useful to treat all inflammations in the body, but in addition it is also widely used to regulate menstruation and loosen the intestine .
Its scientific name is Crocus sativus and can be purchased in health food stores, drugstores and in some markets and fairs, for an average price of 25 reais per 5 grams.
A good strategy to use turmeric to improve digestion and still get rid of stomach pain and gastritis is to always use turmeric to season food because it has properties that facilitate the passage of food through the stomach and how good it is inflammatory, helps fight gastritis.
What is it for
Saffron has anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, laxative, diuretic and anti-spasmodic properties, and can be used for different purposes and thus having several benefits, such as:
- Treat constipation , since it has laxative properties, which favors bowel movement;
- Reduce stomach pain and relieve symptoms of gastritis, since it has anti-inflammatory properties;
- Help in the weight loss process , as it is able to decrease the feeling of hunger;
- Assist in the treatment of thyroid problems , especially when there is a tumor, since it can act on tumor cells preventing their growth;
- Promote a decrease in cholesterol levels ;
- Increase brain activity , improving learning and memory capacity, since it has neuroprotective properties, and can thus be used to assist in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s.
In addition, turmeric is able to assist in the treatment of hemorrhoids, asthma, bronchitis, tendonitis, arthritis and regulate the menstrual cycle.
Side effects and contraindications
The consumption of turmeric is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding or pregnant, as it can promote contraction of the uterus, causing abortion and bleeding. Other side effects are drowsiness, delusions, vomiting, diarrhea and dizziness.
How to use turmeric
Saffron can be found as a spice, being useful for seasoning foods, especially meats and sauces. In addition, it can also be used as a home remedy.
- Hemorrhoid poultice: infuse 3 g of turmeric into 1 cup of boiling water. Wet a clean cloth in this infusion and apply over the external hemorrhoid.
Saffron rice recipe
Saffron rice is a great way to get all the benefits of saffron and rice. See what are the benefits of rice.
- 2 cups of rice;
- 4 cup of boiling water;
- 1 chopped onion;
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 1 dessert spoon of saffron;
- Salt, garlic and pepper to taste.
To make saffron rice, you must first sauté the onion in olive oil until golden, add the rice and stir a little. Then, add water, saffron, salt, and pepper and let it simmer for a while until cooked.