Drinking more water can be a good strategy to help those looking to lose weight, not only because the water has no calories and helps to keep the stomach full, but because it also seems to increase metabolism and calorie burning.
In addition, water also helps in the correct functioning of several important processes for weight loss, such as the functioning of the intestine, digestion and even hydration of the muscles.
Why drinking water helps you lose weight
There is still no specific reason why water helps you lose weight, however, there are several studies that point to the following reasons:
- Decreases the feeling of hunger : by occupying a volume in the stomach, water is able to reduce the feeling of hunger for a few minutes after being ingested. In addition, it is common for many people to feel hungry when in fact they are thirsty, so drinking water reduces the feeling of hunger, also decreasing the number of snacks and calories eaten during the day;
- It increases the burning of calories : according to some studies, drinking 500 ml of cold water or at room temperature seems to increase metabolism by 2 to 3% for 90 minutes, which ends up increasing the number of calories spent at the end of the day;
- It improves the functioning of the intestine : by helping to hydrate the feces, water helps in the intestinal functioning, facilitating the elimination of waste from the body;
- Improves physical performance: as it hydrates the muscles, water is essential to reduce the risk of sports injuries and facilitate muscle recovery. In this way, the person is able to get more performance from training, as well as training more often, facilitating the weight loss process.
To obtain all these benefits for weight loss, water should be consumed without added sugar, since that way the water will contain many calories that can harm the weight loss process.
How to drink water to lose weight
To help you lose weight, water should be consumed without the addition of any substance that can increase its calorie content. Therefore, it is recommended to drink pure water, flavored water or unsweetened teas. In addition, consumption of water-rich foods such as sugar-free gelatin, watermelon, melon, lettuce or tomatoes can also help, as they contain few calories.
You should drink between 1.5 to 3 liters of water per day, it is important to drink fluids up to a maximum of 30 minutes before meals and 40 minutes after. In addition, it is also recommended to restrict the amount of fluids to a minimum during each meal so that the belly is not swollen and not to impair digestion.
The amount of water that each person needs to drink each day should be calculated according to the following mathematical formula: Weight x 35 ml. For example: 70 kg x 35 ml: 2.4 liters of water per day.
7 recipes to drink more water
A good option for those who have difficulty drinking water throughout the day is to add some flavor to the water, without adding sugar. The following are some ingredients that can be added in 1 liter of water, which improve the taste without increasing the amount of calories:
- 1 lemon juice;
- 1 cinnamon stick and mint leaves;
- Sliced cucumber and strawberries cut in half;
- Ginger pieces and orange slices with peel;
- Pineapple and mint slices;
- 5 cloves and 3 star anise;
- A pinch of cayenne pepper, which still helps you lose weight.
It is only necessary to add the ingredients in the water and let it rest for a few hours, remembering that the longer it is resting, the more intense the taste of the water will be. There is no need to crush anything, because it is not juice, nor is it necessary to add sugar or another sweetener. This is a practical way to add some flavor and mineral salts to the water, making it easier to ingest the ideal amount of water every day.