Wine has numerous health benefits, mainly due to the presence of resveratrol in its composition, a strong antioxidant that is present in the skin and seeds of the grapes that produce the wine. In addition, other polyphenols present in grapes, such as tannins, coumarins, flavonoids and phenolic acids, also have health benefits.
The darker the wine, the greater the amount of polyphenols, hence the red wine is the one with the best properties. The main health benefits of this drink are:
- It decreases the risk of atherosclerosis , since it contributes to the increase of HDL (good cholesterol) levels and inhibits the oxidation of LDL (bad cholesterol) in the arteries;
- Decreases blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels;
- Prevents the appearance of cancer due to its antioxidant properties that fight free radicals;
- Reduces the inflammation of chronic diseases such as arthritis or skin problems, due to its anti-inflammatory action;
- Prevents the development of thrombosis, stroke and stroke , as it has anti-thrombotic, antioxidant and inhibiting platelet aggregation action;
- Reduces the risk of heart problems , such as heart attack, by fighting cholesterol, lowering blood pressure and fluidizing the blood;
- It improves digestion , as it increases the production of gastric juice, stimulates the gallbladder and improves the digestion of carbohydrates.
These benefits are obtained from a regular consumption of red wine, being recommended to consume 1 to 2 glasses of 125 mL per day. Grape juice also brings health benefits, however, the alcohol present in wine increases the absorption of the beneficial compounds of these fruits, in addition to containing a higher concentration of polyphenols and also the properties of the seeds.
The following table provides nutritional information equivalent to 100 g of red wine, white wine and grape juice.
|Red wine||White wine||Grape juice|
|Energy||66 kcal||62 kcal||58 kcal|
|Carbohydrate||0,2 g||1,2 g||14,7 g|
|Protein||0,1 g||0,1 g||—|
|Alcohol||9,2 g||9,6 g||—|
|Sodium||22 mg||22 mg||10 mg|
|Resveratrol||1.5 mg / L||0.027 mg / L||1.01 mg / L|
For people who cannot drink alcohol and want to get the benefits of grapes, red grapes should be consumed daily or drink 200 to 400 mL of grape juice per day.
Red Wine Sangria Recipe
- 2 glasses of diced fruit (orange, pear, apple, strawberry and lemon);
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar;
- ¼ cup of old brandy or orange liqueur;
- 1 cinnamon stick;
- 1 mint stem;
- 1 bottle of red wine.
Mix the pieces of fruit with sugar, brandy or liqueur and mint. Lightly macerate the fruits and let the mixture sit for 2 hours. Put the mixture in a jar and add the wine bottle and cinnamon. Allow to cool or add crushed ice and serve. To make the drink taste lighter, you can add 1 can of lemon soda. See also how to prepare sago with wine .
It is important to note that the consumption of alcohol in excess is harmful to health and that the benefits of wine are only achieved with a moderate intake, of about 1 to 2 glasses a day. If the intake is higher, serious side effects can occur.